Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Asagi-san
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:08 pm

College, no doubt, lets you have a better opportunity at getting a job. These days, businesses want people who've gone through college as a way to know who's fit for taking a job. But sometimes, showing people that you've gone to college is sometimes no more than a sign around your neck when millions of others have already done the same.

There's a few people that can get a job without going through years of getting your B.A. or maybe even M.A., and maybe it's because they have connections, or have advertised / shown their skills in a way that lets them become known, but college education is almost, if not, a necessity today in my opinion. The request for college education is so high that it's becoming a standard for many places today.

EDIT: If you wanted my suggestion for the next topic, it's opinions on euthanasia. Dull, overused, but nevertheless a good controversial topic.

Last edited by Asagi-san on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IronDicks
♥ラブマスター♥
♥ラブマスター♥

Male Posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm

not my block of text but looking at some statistics in 2000 in japan, place with the whole highly educated stereotype of everyone going to university, 85% of people did not have university level education

edit: don't forget to add a suggestion for next week
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuskin
Do not charge RT

Male Posts : 2791

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 pm

You want the diploma. That's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Asagi-san
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 pm

@IronDicks wrote:
not my block of text but looking at some statistics in 2000 in japan, place with the whole highly educated stereotype of everyone going to university, 85% of people did not have university level education

Of course, that's in the year 2000. If it were a much more recently recorded statistic, however, it could be more of a viable source.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IronDicks
♥ラブマスター♥
♥ラブマスター♥

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm

@Asagi-san wrote:
@IronDicks wrote:

Of course, that's in the year 2000. If it were a much more recently recorded statistic, however, it could be more of a viable source.

from what i've gathered reading japan, although with competitive applications to their university, struggled to actually fill them up instead opting for the foreign student. recent stats are harder to come by it always seem to take many years for them to release more current census data

i think stereotypically its the chinese thats more connected to the university education standard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suguri
God Poster
God Poster

Female Posts : 7765

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 pm

@IronDicks wrote:
The Necessity and/or Practicality of College/University Education
I'm going to be boring and say "It really depends on what field you're going into", but for the most part I'd agree with Tuskin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kirika
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 am

It really depends. My degree was useless (B.S. biology) till I was accepted into grad school. Eri is discovering that rather than her degree, many employers wish to see 10 years experience @_@ I'd honestly say though, it depends on the individual. After being on both sides of the desk, there are some who truly benefit from college, and some who should get that diploma/GED and run. I don't mean that in a bad way, either. I simply think that our society instantly thinks college education = $$$, and that's simply not true in many cases =3= Some kids I've taught would be better off working their day job, and making it up the ladder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JadeCicada
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm

When I was younger, before I graduated from college, I always figured that a degree was extremely important. At least one diploma tends to help, it assists you in getting your foot in the door, and you tend to land somewhat better paying jobs in comparison to those who start out in the work force immediately. That's pretty much the point of college is to get that shiny paper and get a good job.

But are they better paying in practice? I don't have statistics in this department, but this is the part I've been recently dwelling on the most. In the US, at least, there are so many people who are shouldering so much debt in student loans that it takes up to a full decade to pay them off. The costs of paying for college, especially the ones that "land you dream jobs", are massive. Combined with the (obviously) higher taxes on higher wages, this doesn't give you all that much of a leg-up on the earnings department. In fact, most people I read about, as well as some people I know in person, tend to be reduced to pretty meager living conditions just to keep up. Sure, you can find cheap places to rent, but... there's a reason that rent becomes cheap.

Getting your foot in the door is also a benefit, but as Kirika noted, a lot of recruiters really like to see real work experience. Real work experience can very quickly outclass your original degrees in terms of landing you jobs. Being a successful engineer for 4 years, with award-winning projects and official certifications, is a lot more impressive to a recruiter than graduating in Summa Cum Laude at an Ivy League. Even minor jobs can give you several advantages - between improving your networking in the field, to accumulating years of work, to learning field skills that you'll need in that direction of job - all of which help you climb the job ladder if you need to. Networking alone, you can land some impressive first-time jobs if you can improve your connections.

I'm not entirely impressed with the necessity and focus on getting a college degree. This is mostly observation on the negatives others seem to experience a lot. I'm a beneficiary of good circumstance, thanks to proper networking, so I don't have personal experience on this front, to give disclosure on that note.

Despite all that I've said, though, I'm still a proponent for going to college. This is because college time is an excellent period in your life. It is perfect for networking to set yourself up for the future - career fairs, conferences, and huge conventions are all things you can find and will give you a major advantage. It is also a great "break" just before you get out into the big leagues to evaluate yourself and the direction you're going. The degree isn't the point (its benefits to landing jobs is what we might call "icing on the cake"), nor is the education (you're going to be learning most of your job on the field for the vast majority of degrees, not from academia). It's about the experience there, and ideally making the most of it.

Most of this is biased to the US system (which I imagine impacts moreso the costs/debts than the worth of the degree), since that's what I'm most familiar with (and what most of my compatriots have done their best to evade in favor of overseas employment with better living conditions). But my understanding is that, no matter what your country of living is, work experience and networking contribute a ton more to getting a job than a college education and degree. College still helps for the latter, though, so as long as you know what you're getting into and prepare for what costs are incurred, it remains a recommendable course of action.

I can't think of a topic for next week - after a week of out-of-town business conferences, my head is mostly filled with "TRAINS HEEHEE" and work-related krutz that isn't really anything worth a discussion. I'll give it some more thought and tuck it in here if I come up with something in the next couple of days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IronDicks
♥ラブマスター♥
♥ラブマスター♥

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:38 am

well i better attempt this block of text, kinda hard though as there isn't too much more to say, i'll just to find some angle to approach from.

Australia is different from america we have a large amount of international students, i once read that apparently international students are listed as a commodity and in Australia international students is in our top 3 commodities, next to Iron and Coal. being a student studying intercultural communication in my classes we often say where we are from and if i remember correctly a majority of the students in my classes were in fact international students, keep in mind I'm not just talking Asians, we have alot of Italian & Polish students. anyone who lives in Australia would know that we pride our selves for being a multicultural country and you'll find from statistics that in Australia 1 out of 3 people you see on the street are of a foreign background. we do however have an alarming trend arising that students are not learning second languages, we have a huge drop out rate from years 9 to 12 i believe it was for people learning languages, this is alarming as in my opinion the world as a hole is heading towards a much more global economy and language is key to be successful.

TL:DR version
my opinion is that in this ever changing economy multi-lingualness is necessary in getting ahead in the work force
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IronDicks
♥ラブマスター♥
♥ラブマスター♥

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:55 am

well next subject time, i'll take from Zwiebel's suggestion but make it more easy to talk about

Interpretations or Opinions of Prejudice Online
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic   

Back to top Go down

'Opinions and Interpretations' the topic
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Off-Topic (Non-CB related) :: The Lounge-
Jump to:  

Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com