Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Japanese Company Outtakes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rynex

PostSubject: Japanese Company Outtakes   Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:55 pm

dem Japanese companies, doing silly things.

Quote :
>Speaking in an interview with Aftonbladet, Ulf and Bo Andersson said Square not only made ridiculous demands of the firm, but it also reneged on $20 million contract for the firm’s Final Fantasy spin-off game, codenamed Fortress. Square also insisted, according to the Anderssons, that the firm fax it the game’s code and music files.

>“It is as silly as it sounds,” said Bo Andersson. “It is an impossible requirement, you can not send ASCII or binary codes on the fax. It is backward. Really retarded. It was almost a criminal activity.”

>According to the developers, Square also claimed the firm was not delivering its work to the correct departments. It should have, instead, been sending all its work to Square’s legal division, and furthermore insisted it didn’t like the game’s Nordic style, which it specifically requested from the beginning and was one of the main reasons it chose a Swedish firm in the first place.

>So, to test the waters at Square a bit, and to see if it was even paying attention, GRIN sent it some concept art from taken straight from Final Fantasy XII .

>The Anderssons were told: “It does not look like Final Fantasy.”

>“Then we realized that whatever we do … they have decided,” Bo Andersson said. “We wanted to come in and revolutionize Final Fantasy, which is exactly what they need. The latest version sucks of course.”

Quote :
Japanese companies are known to be very slow at adopting new technologies as long as old ones work.
For instance, TV stations require all TV shows (anime included) and commercials to be delivered to them physically on some specific type of digital cassettes that have been in use for decades. Lulz ensued when that huge earthquake earlier this year wiped out the only factory that produced them.

Quote :
I know I'm kind of late, but I can vouch for this. I worked a night shift at a Japanese TV station for a while, and everything we aired was on cassette tapes. Most of the editing was linear, i.e. if you want to stick 1 minute of extra footage into the middle of a 1 hour long program, you have to wait 31 minutes: 1 minute to record the new footage onto the tape, plus an extra 30 minutes to re-record the second half of the program after the 1 minute of inserted footage. Even when we did use computers to edit footage, we had to record the finished product onto a tape in order to get it aired. The stupidest part about it was that they'd encode everything back into video data before airing it in the control room, which was downstairs and across the hall from the editing rooms. So, we were basically copying hours of footage onto tapes, just so that we could carry them to another room in the building and have someone re-encode them back onto a computer. Nobody ever dreamed of reworking the system so we could, you know, just save the footage as data in the first place, edit it non-linear using a computer, and then send the data straight to the control room...

Although, I always assumed this kind of behavior wasn't unique to Japanese companies, but something that happens at all large companies...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Japanese Company Outtakes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Off-Topic (Non-CB related) :: The Lounge-
Jump to:  

Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum