Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides



 
HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:06 am

Some of you might know, my 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HDD died on me a few months back.
A lot of weeks ago my 80GB IDE Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 HDD also died on me,
And since then, it had been sitting in my treasure box.

I set to work on the first prototype of Lily
Some of you might know that video someone posted at CBFF about this where disks are simply given a spin and dropped off a table,
And I just developed that idea further.

So my idea was to make the disks move on their own with a proper motor.
It's a simple thing, stick a motor onto the disks,
But it's easier said than done.

So firstly, I took apart the HDDs and along with my toolset chucked it on to my cousin's bed.

Spoiler:
 

Now, I did a quick scan over what I had.
To make this simple,
I'm gonna use the 3 HDD platters I have,
and slap them on to a HDD motor,
screw it up,
give it a circuit,
and voila.
Mind you it took me 6 hours to get the thing built, and I still have the testing and I also have to find some way of sticking on the circuit to the platters.

Oh and if you're pretty derp to not know what I'm building,
It's that disk thingy that Lily chucks out of her skirt.

Lets get on to the building.

First wall I came about.
The supermagnets within the HDD are almost inseparable to the pieces of metal they are stuck to, mainly because of the strong magnetic force plus the fact that seagate was stupid enough to hot glue them on.
I put it in really hot water for a few minutes to reduce the effects of the hot glue.

Spoiler:
 

After drying they looked like this.

Spoiler:
 

This made my life easier.
Out of 3 magnets(I lost one of them weeks ago)
Only one broke, and even that was just a snap in the middle, which later on became useful.

So thats done, and I'm off to srs bsns.
So I get the motor:
Spoiler:
 

And I stick in the platters.
Obviously they fit nicely.
Spoiler:
 

I screw on the stabilisers,
Spoiler:
 

And the basic mechanism is finished.
Spoiler:
 
Btw, you will/have seen a lot of pics involving my phone, which is usually because I get a txt from someone in the process.

I put the platter and motor back into the case.
Note here:
Do NOT screw the motor back on. It's a waste of time.
Use the magnets from before and put two in the gap between the platter and the motor, and the other two on the case.
Also make sure it's the Barracuda 7200.8, since it has a removable motor whereas the other one doesn't.
Spoiler:
 

I had dinner after this,
And my phone ran out of battery.
Spoiler:
 

Next up is soldering the circuit.
Firstly remove all the platters so that you dont have any interference when soldering.
Spoiler:
 

What you'll need here is a SPDT switch(One that moves between either two circuits, and has 3 pins)
Make the positive pin (usually identifiable by how it's separated from the other two) connect to any of the outer pins on the motor, and the other two go on the remaining pins.
Spoiler:
 

Solder everything, and the motor is VERY hard to solder since the pins are so small and close together
I had 7 attempts before it finally worked.
Spoiler:
 

Once that's done test to make sure the circuit works.
Temporarily I used a 3V battery thing but ideally you need 12V to get the most efficient power.
Spoiler:
 

Well that's what I did up to,
I'll keep working on it on saturdays, and I'll frequently update this.
Right now something went wrong and as a result it only moves for a fraction of a second before stopping.
Back to top Go down
Nisa
God Poster
God Poster
avatar

Female Posts : 7152
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 am

Were'nt you banned?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/nisae/
Wolf Hikari
Weak Veteran
avatar

Male Posts : 2980
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 25
Location : The Twin Moon

PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 am

So you're back with half reputation and re-post waht you can't post before. Good job Sun! And Welcome Back!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:09 am

WHY DID YOU COME BACK
Back to top Go down
Broken
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 467
Join date : 2010-12-31
Location : Javan

PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:13 am

Welcome back.
Sun-sama :3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Diabolical wrote:
WHY DID YOU COME BACK

Boredom
Unfinished business
to find some people
Back to top Go down
FreedomFighter
Ace Poster
Ace Poster
avatar

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 am

back from the grave hm??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:03 am

@FreedomFighter wrote:
back from the grave hm??

Im a zombie. Not a masou shoujo though
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:13 am

Hacker Tools! I liek! XD
Anyways, You connected the batteries in series, making it "9 + 9 + 3 = 21" volts. UR DOIN IT RONG.
You know that the motor in the center is a Brushless DC motor right? It takes complex drive electronics to operate one of those. Or does it?
Don't you have solder paste, some solder wick and/or a solder sucker? It makes your life a whole lot easier, plus you need to insulate the wires so they don't short circuit, Use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Psst...! The super magnets are called Neodymium Magnets, or Rare Earth Magnets!

PROTIP - Don't burn yourself with that soldering iron.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:49 am

LXE wrote:
Hacker Tools! I liek! XD
Anyways, You connected the batteries in series, making it "9 + 9 + 3 = 21" volts. UR DOIN IT RONG.
You know that the motor in the center is a Brushless DC motor right? It takes complex drive electronics to operate one of those. Or does it?
Don't you have solder paste, some solder wick and/or a solder sucker? It makes your life a whole lot easier, plus you need to insulate the wires so they don't short circuit, Use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Psst...! The super magnets are called Neodymium Magnets, or Rare Earth Magnets!

PROTIP - Don't burn yourself with that soldering iron.

1. I never put them in series
I tested with 3V the whole time
2. I forgot to mention it's heavily outdated
About 20 seconds after I put up the post on HF I realized all that,
But then to make it work I either need really fast 6 fingers
Or a chip,
Which neither is possible.
I'm planning to get a normal motor, and use that instead
3. I dont have a solder wick
I don't have any electrical tape left over after I used them to do other stuff
4. Yes I know it's neodymium
5. That soldering iron is really old and has lots of shit on the surface
It barely melts the solder
I have to scrape it on the newspaper or something and hope part of the surface gets clean
Back to top Go down
Wolf Hikari
Weak Veteran
avatar

Male Posts : 2980
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 25
Location : The Twin Moon

PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:42 am

sunjae429 wrote:
LXE wrote:
Hacker Tools! I liek! XD
Anyways, You connected the batteries in series, making it "9 + 9 + 3 = 21" volts. UR DOIN IT RONG.
You know that the motor in the center is a Brushless DC motor right? It takes complex drive electronics to operate one of those. Or does it?
Don't you have solder paste, some solder wick and/or a solder sucker? It makes your life a whole lot easier, plus you need to insulate the wires so they don't short circuit, Use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Psst...! The super magnets are called Neodymium Magnets, or Rare Earth Magnets!

PROTIP - Don't burn yourself with that soldering iron.

1. I never put them in series
I tested with 3V the whole time
2. I forgot to mention it's heavily outdated
About 20 seconds after I put up the post on HF I realized all that,
But then to make it work I either need really fast 6 fingers
Or a chip,
Which neither is possible.
I'm planning to get a normal motor, and use that instead
3. I dont have a solder wick
I don't have any electrical tape left over after I used them to do other stuff
4. Yes I know it's neodymium
5. That soldering iron is really old and has lots of shit on the surface
It barely melts the solder
I have to scrape it on the newspaper or something and hope part of the surface gets clean

I see, if you make it like that. It will be like this, and if you make it like this it will be like that? How can you choose the dry cells tough? O_O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 am

@Wolf Hikari wrote:
sunjae429 wrote:
LXE wrote:
Hacker Tools! I liek! XD
Anyways, You connected the batteries in series, making it "9 + 9 + 3 = 21" volts. UR DOIN IT RONG.
You know that the motor in the center is a Brushless DC motor right? It takes complex drive electronics to operate one of those. Or does it?
Don't you have solder paste, some solder wick and/or a solder sucker? It makes your life a whole lot easier, plus you need to insulate the wires so they don't short circuit, Use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Psst...! The super magnets are called Neodymium Magnets, or Rare Earth Magnets!

PROTIP - Don't burn yourself with that soldering iron.

1. I never put them in series
I tested with 3V the whole time
2. I forgot to mention it's heavily outdated
About 20 seconds after I put up the post on HF I realized all that,
But then to make it work I either need really fast 6 fingers
Or a chip,
Which neither is possible.
I'm planning to get a normal motor, and use that instead
3. I dont have a solder wick
I don't have any electrical tape left over after I used them to do other stuff
4. Yes I know it's neodymium
5. That soldering iron is really old and has lots of shit on the surface
It barely melts the solder
I have to scrape it on the newspaper or something and hope part of the surface gets clean

I see, if you make it like that. It will be like this, and if you make it like this it will be like that? How can you choose the dry cells tough? O_O

What?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily   

Back to top Go down
 
Sun's working on the first prototype of Lily
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Off-Topic (Non-CB related) :: The Lounge-
Jump to:  




Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Forum create on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum