Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Animedude5555

PostSubject: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:31 am

Whenever you start the game, you get a different main menu pic. Now I was thinking about getting a PrintScreen screencap of these so I could use them as wallpaper on my computer. But there's a little problem. Running the game doesn't just put it into fullscreen mode, it actually TAKES OVER YOUR SCREEN! That is to say, if I want to screencap it with PrintScreen and then paste it into MS Paint, and save this as a PNG file, you have to PrintScreen it, and then close the game. If you try to alt-tab your way to MS Paint, the game's screen STILL STAYS AT THE TOP WINDOW (blocking your view of MS Paint). Only Task Manager can be brought to a higher z-order (made the absolute top window). Most fullscreen games do NOT do this kind of takeover of your screen, even in fullscreen mode. You can usually alt-tab to another program.

The other problem with PrintScreen is it captures everything on the screen as it is in the game's layout. Yet there are actual several underlying image resources that go into making the game's main-menu screen, including the background that I want to extract, and the various button images. I found that in Windows 7, the Task Manager has a memory dump function that under the "processes" tab. You can right click on a process (running EXE file) and dump its memory. I have used that a number of times with Cosmic break, and then used Gimp's raw image loader functionality to manually locate the raw image bytes in the memory dump, and then save a PNG image which is the (actually one of many) background artwork found on the game's main-menu screen. Problem is, you have to do a memory dump like this, and then close the game, and run Gimp, FOR EVERY SINGLE PICTURE you want to dump. And this is VERY VERY TEDIOUS!

So then I started looking at the game's resource archive files, hoping that maybe I could write my own custom resource dumping software for these, but quickly ran into a dead end. They are NOT any common archive files, nor are they even CLOSE to something that one could even begin to determine the structure of. The ONLY thing they have in common is the first byte. THAT'S IT. It has the hex value 85 (decimal value 133). Everything after that is either compressed and/or encrypted. Analyzing it in Gimp's raw image loader shows what looks like completely random "white noise". Not even a HINT of structure ANYWHERE in the file. I assume the company went out of their way to make it so people can't steal the game's resources and send them all over the net (in obvious violation of the game's EULA). But in the process, they've made it a PAIN IN THE WAZOO to try to extract the resources for perfectly legal PERSONAL USE (i.e. putting an image from the game as my computer's wallpaper).

I have several starting assumptions. It probably is compressed (more efficient storing resources). It most certainly is encrypted (no recognizable compression headers like for Zip, BZip, GZip, or ZLib). If both encryption and compression is used, it is best to apply encryption AFTER the compression. Encryption turns the structured (and easily compressed) data into what is for all practical purposes RANDOM data (which is uncompressible). So any file that anybody wanted to both compress and encrypt, the compression would be applied first, and then the encryption. So the order of undoing these things is first decryption, and then decompression.

The first thing I need to know (even before I try to figure out the decryption key) is what algorithm is being used. Does Cosmic Break use AES, DES, Triple DES, Twofish, Blowfish? And that's assuming that's assuming it is using symmetric encryption. It could be using RSA (or RSA+symmetric, where RSA just encrypts the key, and the key is used in a symmetric encryption to encrypt/decrypt the data). This would not only add a step to reverse engineering what encryption is being used, but even if somebody found out EVERYTHING about it, people would be UNABLE to make new models, images, or anything else that is stored in the KAR files and put it into the game. Only resources officially released by the company could be used in the game, because the KAR files would be encrypted with the company's private RSA key (and the game would have the company's public RSA key, used to decrypt the files). And since nobody else would have the company's private RSA key, nobody else could make resources for the game.

But I'm not interested in making resources for the game. I'm interested in extracting them for my own personal use, such using the background images from the game for wallpaper on my PC (which is NOT in violation of the EULA, so forum mods, please do NOT delete this thread). And extracting them SHOULD be possible for anyone with access to the game. If the game can extract the resources, then the code needed to extract the resources is in the game's EXE file. And that means that the decryption mechanism is on the on the end-user's computer, not on the game company's server. So if the code for decrypting the KAR files is in the game, then it SHOULD be possible to determine the algorithm through reverse engineering the exe file "cosmic.exe" itself (or one of the other supporting DLL files found in the game's directory). All one should need, if they have the skill to do it, is run one of these files through a program like Olly Debug (a well known disassembler, which converts raw x86 machine code, into human readable "assembly code"). And a person familiar with assembly language SHOULD be able to discover the decryption algorithm in the EXE file (or a supporting DLL file) using this technique.

Anybody on here willing to take up this project, and help me, so that I can get some really cool Cosmic Break anime background pics for my computer's wallpaper? I swear, I WILL NOT distribute over the internet (or any other means) anything that I manage to extract from the game's archive files.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Male Posts : 3755

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:35 am

Ain't nobody got time to read through that essay, be concise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Animedude5555

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:52 am

Here's the short version, for those who will say "tl;dr" about this thread's opening post. And sorry I couldn't make it any shorter, as this is as short as I can make it, while still conveying the information that I need to convey.

I want to use the game's anime-style background pics as my computer wallpaper.
I've tried 2 different techniques, each with their own problems:
PrintScreen (captures everything including the button pics, not just the bg pic)
Memory dump with Windows 7 Task Manager (takes forever digging through the dump which has all kinds of crap in it, to just find the picture)

And there's something that both techniques have a problem with. After screencap or memdump, you have to close the game (the game does a full take over the screen, not just a switch to fullscreen mode, so you can't alt-tab to any program other than Task Manager which always is on top when it's visible).

This leaves me with no other choice than to try to figure out how to extract the game's main-menu's background images, from the archive files, which have the KAR file extension. Problem with that is they are encrypted files (WHAT THE CRAP!). I don't know TWO MAJOR THINGS that I will need to know before I attempt ANY decryption:
The algorithm (AES, DES, Blowfish, etc)
The mode the algorithm is used in (Cipher Block Chaining, Cipher Feedback, etc)
The nature of the algorithm (symmetric like AES, asymmetric like RSA, or asymmetric+symmetric like data is encrypted with AES and then the AES key is encrypted with RSA)
The key needed to be used to decrypt the data
The initialization vector (IV), if there is one

Does anybody here have any skills in cryptanalysis (examining encrypted stuff, and determining the specs about how it was encrypted, and possible ways to decrypt it), or in EXE file disassembling (finding the algorithm by converting the EXE file to human readable assembly language, and just reading line after line of assembly code until you find the encryption mechanism and key that's needed)? If anybody here has these skills, PLEASE help me. I REALLY want to be able to use the ABSOLUTELY AWESOME anime-style background pics in Cosmic Break as my computer's wallpaper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
+RedCobra+
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

Male Posts : 1440

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:40 am

no one will read this thing. brb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GasaiYunoº
Adept Poster
Adept Poster

Male Posts : 631

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:14 am

too long, so just read some of it

there's an option to go out of full screen and screenshots from prntscreen get saved in capture folder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isdelft
Adept Poster
Adept Poster

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:24 am

you mean this shet?
Spoiler:

or this shet?
Spoiler:

lel some nerd dont even know how to use google

he just split a lot of technical term for nothing

i think the main purpose is not get the bg , but another things

LELELELELELELELELELELE

and i think im just crazy too , to waste dem time reading all of them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moh

Male Posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:34 pm

You can start your adventure with KAR archives «here»

Found this on some other forum and decided to make a copy of it.

@Aethereal
Skin creation would be much better with proper tools and resources to do it (UV map, head models).

Last edited by moh on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://yutsuku.net/
God is a Cat Girl
(=●ω●=)

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Guys guys, if you are going to complain about someone's post being too big, at least don't make stupid and useless posts (because you wouldn't help him in any way anyway) that doesn't have any proper capitalization and punctuation (and spelling in a certain case), because that way you don't sound like an illiterate dick that only complains about it, since he's just too bored to breathe (I lied, it's because you are just illiterate). Those are just basic things, not even talking about grammar (yeah... I suck that too).

To the OP. Yeah... I don't think I saw many users that delved into that territory, unless it's someone that barely posts (maybe because the rest of the forum will get cancer if they tried to talk about things like this). Actually, only person I ever saw talking about related things was Aria, who wasn't very helpful (if it was actually him who did this or that).
Some of those screens can be found on the interwebs, or on the game's site, but unless JP updated their fansite kit, the official sites are just outdated. Sometimes those backgrounds are posted along with the update notes, but finding can be a pain, and they might have different/smaller sizes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ariyuki
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 210

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:30 pm

as for your prt scrn + ms paint problem, you could have just
>prt scrn
>options (change resolution to windowed mode)
>open ms paint
>???
>profit

as to getting those wallpapers, cattygod is right, jp may have a few of them, you can also find some on

http://www.donmai.us/posts?utf8=%E2%9C%93&tags=cosmic_break+

beware as this site contains 18+ stuff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frizz
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

Male Posts : 1621

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Dude use Safebooru.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maelstrom
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Male Posts : 3995

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:06 pm

I prefer sankaku for this...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Aethereal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 296

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:10 pm

>blah blah wall of text

long story short, have fun guessing the password on .kar files so you can steal all sorts of shit.
you're not the first to think of it or attempt it.

nobody's falling for the "I wanna break into a game's copyrighted content and encrypted files just so i can take a few pictures."

by the way,
Spoiler:

Last edited by Aethereal on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sakura1
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster

Female Posts : 4945

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Learn to google son, u dont wanna get arrestted for breaking a entering ._.?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ariyuki
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 210

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:43 pm

@Frizz wrote:
Dude use Safebooru.

no cause how else can i see them tittays
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Animedude5555

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:14 pm

@Aethereal wrote:
>blah blah wall of text

long story short, have fun guessing the password on .kar files so you can steal all sorts of shit.
you're not the first to think of it or attempt it.

nobody's falling for the "I wanna break into a game's copyrighted content and encrypted files just so i can take a few pictures."

by the way,
Spoiler:

Um, the password is the LEAST of the problems with the KAR archives. Even if I knew the password, it would do me NO GOOD, as I don't know what algorithm to use. Is it AES? Is it DES? Is it Blowfish? Does anybody know? And what bitlength is the encryption block? 128bit? 256bit? All this stuff would need to be known, before the password would do any good.

Also it's not "breaking into copyrighted content" the way you are saying it. I don't want to rip these guys off. I just want to use the awesome backgrounds as my wallpaper on my computer. That's not redistributing content illegally. It's not a copyright violation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Animedude5555

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:33 pm

@moh wrote:
You can start your adventure with KAR archives «here»

Found this on some other forum and decided to make a copy of it.

@Aethereal
Skin creation would be much better with proper tools and resources to do it (UV map, head models).

Cool, this looks like it should work. I placed the JAR file in the resources folder and then ran it like this from the WIndows command prompt:
java -jar karsource.jar -l image.kar

This revealed the ENTIRE set of filenames available to extract. So then I tried to extract it, and that's where I ran into a problem. This is what I ran to try to extract a particular picture:
java -jar karsource.jar -x image.kar /arena/cg_arena_gb01.png cg_arena_gb01.png dhfuhsudfh98vhdsovnfdhiouer8u8hgjbkjciudsuifsjdiosajfn

And it didn't work. Either this tool with the password dhfuhsudfh98vhdsovnfdhiouer8u8hgjbkjciudsuifsjdiosajfn was released a long time ago and the CB game making company caught wind of this extractor tool's existence and changed their password since then, or else the person who typed the password into the README file made a typo.

Can you find out the CORRECT password for me? Please. I gotta have these pics!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thehellamireading
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:39 pm

you have to ask the hackers from NoFunAllowed clan probably
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Animedude5555

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 am

I ended up writing my own memory dumper software, that has a built in raw image viewer function. This raw image viewer also has a save button that allows you to save the current content of the viewer as a standard BMP file. Now I will painstakingly go through each image on the main-menu screen (click the button to start Single Player and then immediately exit to the main-menu to change the BG image), and after each image is displayed on the game's screen I will mem-dump the game. Then all I need to do is find and save the main-menu background pictures in said dumps. I will then continue this process until I have them all as standard BMP files that I can then use for AWESOME stuff, like putting as my Windows wallpaper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moh

Male Posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:38 am

@Animedude5555 wrote:
(...)
Can you find out the CORRECT password for me? Please. I gotta have these pics!

Sorry but I hit the wall at this point, I'm not that good with reverse engineering.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://yutsuku.net/
Animedude5555

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:57 pm

@moh A bit off topic, but I'm curious. Who's the blue haired anime girl in your avatar pic?

On topic. Why did you post a Zip file containing a readme file, that has a password that doesn't work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HashiriyaR32
Adept Poster
Adept Poster

Male Posts : 617

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:05 am

Because we absolutely, positively, DO NOT want to help you with what you're trying to do.

So we're doing our best to either persuade you from trying, or be as unhelpful as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.idforums.net
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]

Male Posts : 5786

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:09 am

@Animedude5555 wrote:
@moh A bit off topic, but I'm curious. Who's the blue haired anime girl in your avatar pic?

>anime

>>>>>>>>>anime

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zerocl
[TRUE CHILEAN FLAITE]

Male Posts : 1402

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:58 am

@Relict? wrote:
@Animedude5555 wrote:

>anime

>>>>>>>>>anime

I actually wanted to know the same thing for, literally, years.
I guess I'm not weeb enough :C
BUT HOLY SHIT THANKS, srsly
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lastfm.es/user/z3r0yqzaen
Winty
God Poster
God Poster

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:08 am

yo animaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]

Male Posts : 5786

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:17 am

no problemo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?   

Back to top Go down

Anybody figured out yet how to reliably extract the main-menu bg pics?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Cosmic Break :: General-
Jump to:  

Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Forumotion.com | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum