Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Is CosmicBreak dead?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Winty
God Poster
God Poster

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:51 pm

it's a much smaller deal when compared to mmorpgs where you're missing key damaging abilities on your character without having a high enough level for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valkyrie
Master Poster
Master Poster

Female Posts : 2457

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 pm

[quote="Winty"]
Quote :
action should be NOW, you shouldn't have to get to max level(which takes a week, usually, if you fucking grind the most boring shit ever for several hours a day) in order to have useful skills and be able to access the "fun" parts of the game.

There is a balancing act between giving people a reason to progress, and making the stuff you have to do progress fun. An RPG where you don't have any skills to start with and have to grind through mashing a basic attack string isn't fun because all the fights are going to be the same. You also have to balance what you give people - if you drop 30 skills on them to start and ask them to pick a set of 5 or whatever, they'll freak out.

The problem here is really the pre-construction of characters. You start with a blank character and then explore them as you level up in fixed ways. In traditional RPGs you MAKE a character that is personal to you even at level 1. In MMOs that just doesn't happen, you get a bunch of clones at the start, 5000 copies of each of your 6 classes or whatever. It's dumb. it's not "this guy picked this class with this race and this weapon and clearly wants to do this thing and looks like this", it's "he picked this race, which sets his appearance, and he picked this class, which sets his weapon." and only after a 50 hours of playing do you start to look any different from all the other fuckwits who picked the same beginning options as you.

And NO, I'm not talking about a "detailed character creator", I'm talking about options that have actual effects on gameplay, like picking your base stats and shit.

CB is a good game in this regard because it offers a multitude of starting options. Even before HU cubes, going into low ranking rooms you'd find a wide variety of things and playstyles, because the game hands you a damn shop full of options - they aren't all GOOD, but at least there are OPTIONS and variety. That's what makes even the low levels fun. Even if you aren't able to tune you can still mix and match parts and maybe squeeze a bit more speed into your build.

Leveling up a bot in cosmic break DOESN'T EFFECT IT'S STATS, which is actually a big deal. It'll give you HP(through capa carts) but the main difference between a leveled and unleveled build will be extra carts. You don't magically get more damage or defense, which allows even low leveled things to be an active part of arena if they are played well.[/spoiler]

While I sort of agree with things you mentioned I also have some things I don't agree with.

1: What you say is very nuanced. People these days have a tendency to only want the NOW part. Which ties into games having lower difficulty than older games. Take Bahead for instance. Great event, lots of people were hyped and psyched and it was beautifull to see. Bahead was so strong that high ranked players didn't have a walk in the park beating it. People were paying attention to the way he moved, devising tactics and (god) valueing different forms of support. That difficulty level was good. People's thirst for instant gratification is not only creating hyperconsumerism, it's resulting in them wanting games to be less hard so they can satisfy themselves more and also shaping a load of entitled gamers. It's a little sad if games lose that sense of achievement.

2: I totally agree with that, but as I'm saying games currently panders more to the latter part of your example.

3: You are completely right. MMO's tend to bank on archetypes concerning character building. That's where I think there should be the freedom of choosing a weapon at first, and have some leeway in distributing stats and skills. Skill trees have the shitty way of cornering people into one role. For example, there are players who like to play healers and tanks, but don't want to have zero offensive pressence or be "the team's b*tch". I wonder why they don't have the freedom of allocating stats and skills to get a unique character with a unique playstyle. I think that cb does work around this in a more favorable way. For example I have a tanky school nemlim I used to dive crowds with and I'd still have some offensive presence. All because I was able to tweak her stats that way. Though arena doesn't always showcase diversity of playstyle, when I played this game I used to enjoy seeing the Suguris/the reVs/the Kobs/the Greys/the Xiaos/the Miles/the Vyolets/the Ethers/the Trills using the freedom tuning allowed (as much as I hate the rate of succes part and generics @_@ ) to the fullest.

It's been mentioned before but CB isn't dead at the moment. It's just that the current way things proceed has left CB without a potential room for playerbase growth. And the devs don't really care.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GasaiYunoº
Adept Poster
Adept Poster

Male Posts : 631

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:52 pm

@Valkyrie wrote:

3: You are completely right. MMO's tend to bank on archetypes concerning character building. That's where I think there should be the freedom of choosing a weapon at first, and have some leeway in distributing stats and skills. Skill trees have the shitty way of cornering people into one role. For example, there are players who like to play healers and tanks, but don't want to have zero offensive pressence or be "the team's b*tch". I wonder why they don't  have the freedom of allocating stats and skills to get a unique character with a unique playstyle. I think that cb does work around this in a more favorable way.

this was one of the reasons why i liked playing Shin Megami Tensei Imagine
there was no classes, you choose one of 3 weapons to start and in the game you would lvl what ever expertise (there was like 20-30 of them) you wanted without having stuff like class restrictions
too bad the english server died D:

ok back to topic
i also dont think the game is really dead, people always come and go
Back to top Go down
View user profile
necrodrakath
Game Hater

Male Posts : 588

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BARILLIAN
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:49 am

@GasaiYunoº wrote:
there was no classes, you choose one of 3 weapons to start and in the game you would lvl what ever expertise (there was like 20-30 of them) you wanted without having stuff like class restrictions
Also you got chased around by like 60 angels if you so much as put a foot in Shinagawa during new moon and Ueno during the night

I just want to go to arcadia jesus christ stop you fucks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Male Posts : 3759

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Keep in mind that this game is far more of an multiplayer arena-based shooter than a MMORPG, you'll have better luck comparing it side-by-side with another of its kind than a MMORPG as these games have very different needs for "progression". CB is only MMO because it has an interactive lobby.

Arguably the main failure of it comes in the fact that as a arena-shooter, it has any meaningful "progression" at all to speak of without segregating the players of varying progression. Segregation is pretty bad to begin with but when you are giving "progression" without doing any segregation, it's double bad.

And the result of that? Players think they are failing because they don't have gara bots, and hence they throw money at it or leave if they are smart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verafice

Male Posts : 62

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Sure is getting particularly dead. Seems to be a lack of newfags, maybe CS has stopped promoting the game and is marketing Onigiri instead? I've seen the Onigiri AdChoices banners quite frequently anyway.

This shit has stayed alive way longer than I expected tbh. The recent theme of throwing in collector cards with charging gives me the feeling of desperation/epilogue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.verafice.com
shinigami
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

Male Posts : 1342

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:52 am

[necroing my account and the thread?]

I really hope it becomes fully dead one day and someone would make a private server out of it like a lot of those WoW servers out there. Or simply make CB a retail game (GABEN PLS, STEAM PLS). I'm fine with expansion packs once maybe a year or a half).

Shit's the best PvP game I've played and I still can't find anything to replace it (LoL is a close 2nd). And it's a very good game considering one of the shittiest game company is running it and it's still going (somehow). It's so unique but simple I'm surprised no other game has copied its gameplay and bot customizing yet (Minimize gave me a similar impression to me, minus the moe and mech part), I bet CB would be dead if this happens.

The worst feeling is I can't even get what I want if I pay. TBH if new bots can be bought at a higher fixed price of Rt (say 400) or can be rolled in gara at the same time I probably wouldn't have quit waaaaaaaay back then. Though it's still isn't a sustainable solution, it can reduce the frustration at a degree. (is it done like this now?)

I'm kinda glad I lost my account (in the end of 2012 I think) so I won't get hooked by it again, but I'm also sad I can't get the same experience again. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VietPho
Always Drunk

Male Posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:12 am

wtf? this game is dieing? I just started playing this again today!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vietpho.net
Relict?
[Moderator]
[Moderator]

Male Posts : 5786

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:25 am

what is necro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster

Female Posts : 4410

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:25 am

... No.

It's just people overreacting like always.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Koiro
God Poster
God Poster

Male Posts : 5490

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:10 pm

I wish it was dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valkyrie
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:21 pm

@Koiro wrote:
I wish it was dead
koikoi stop being tsun :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wah~Sugoi
Adept Poster
Adept Poster

Male Posts : 576

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:57 pm

seabee is dead because Valky is not there :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiFi
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Female Posts : 3107

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:44 pm

@Koiro wrote:
I wish it was dead
I kinda understand how you feel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toilet-Flusher
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

Male Posts : 1045

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:06 am

gaem is purfkded
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valkyrie
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:35 am

Huge.Dick wrote:
seabee is dead because Valky is not there :3
Hehe~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zerocl
[TRUE CHILEAN FLAITE]

Male Posts : 1402

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:26 pm

@Koiro wrote:
I wish it was dead
We're all dead and we don't know it
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lastfm.es/user/z3r0yqzaen
Sakura1
God Poster
God Poster

Female Posts : 5373

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:35 pm

its dead
this game dead
we are just ghost
wondering without purpose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AhegaoMaster
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Female Posts : 3301

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:41 pm

we all need sex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YukiZero
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 342

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:48 pm

well this game was dead when it had only 20 players
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frizz
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

Male Posts : 1799

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:36 am

So much brs talking shit in global chat.
I give 3 months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is CosmicBreak dead?   

Back to top Go down

Is CosmicBreak dead?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Cosmic Break :: General-
Jump to:  

Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Forumotion.com | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum