Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Pre ordering shenanigans

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Valkyrie
Master Poster
Master Poster

Female Posts : 2457

PostSubject: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Playing through Diablo III once more, I totally forgot I didn't get the reaper of souls dlc. When I was about to get it, I saw this premium version that allowed some advantages. I then remembered that such things have become increasingly common in pre-ordering a game, whilst in the past it would only mean you'd get your game faster.

In an age where it's easy for gamers to find each other, the amount of information being shared also increased. Negative reviews spread fast and can spell the end of a game before it's even been released. Which then results in game developers trying to shut down the critics which adds the Streisand effect into the mix and create even more backlash. It's one thing to say that gamers have become entitled, but is that really it? Gamers hardly changed, it's more like the industry itself changed. Now it seems like a matter of what game developer can make the best demo and hide the game's shortcomings the most. Pre-ordering for example, seems to be a way for AAA releases to get as much people as possible on the ride in order for the game to become a great success. I don't really blame them, since a lot of AAA releases aren't that impressive anymore. I'm not saying that games are getting worse, but I do think that their power to blow us away has waned.

How do you guys feel about this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
God is a Cat Girl
(=●ω●=)

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Pre order starts being cancerous when not ordering from a certain shop equals not getting the same content.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Male Posts : 3759

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Irresponsible consumer practice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aurum_Sol
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18 pm

saying that gamers didnt change is also not quite true, 99%(this number is made up, but you get the point) of games are much less dificult then what older gamers where used to.
another big influence was better graphics available which somehow turned games into interactive cinema movies, because huge ammounts of "gamers" dont care as much for the gameplay as they do for the "wow-effect".

but yeah, the industry has changed quite alot. sadly im unable to find as many games that keep my interest anymore. i think the last big game im totally into was XCOM and XCOM Enemy Within ... which was more or less a remake.

guess i will check out thief 4 and see if they screwed it up or not. but considering how consoles influenced thief 3 my hopes are rather slim (thief 3 is still a good game, but the console influence is quite noticable allready)

i wonder what hurts games more these days, the "but i bought the content so i want to see the content even if i suck at the game" mentality of the consumers (and the industry catering to that) or "but it must be a multi platform game to maximize sales" current gen consoles have on game development due to publishers being dicks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuskin
Do not charge RT

Male Posts : 2794

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm

There are like almost no demos for games. At best some releases (mostly generic shooters) are up in closed beta, but for everything else there's nothing. A study even stated that not uploading a demo means an increase in sales since people can only rely on marketing and waiting for the review embargo to be over.

However I don't know how people fall into some scams like Brink (which was obviously a gimmicky, generic shooter with some tacked on "parkour"), Borderlands 2, Skyrim, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:43 pm

I like my pre-orders with physical goodies, not things that only matter within the game. Which is why I also like pre-ordering SEs of games, so long as they don't have any sort of "advantage" in-game.

This reminds me of a discussion with a friend, who happened to pre-order Hyrule Warriors. (Game is going to get stupid high reviews, as well as insurmountable amounts of praise for having the franchise attached to it, but to each his own).
The thing that bothered me was pre-ordering for a skin or some DLC that comes with the game pre-order. I'm not a huge fan of DLC, but offering exclusive DLC as a motivation for pre-order is really stupid. Why would you buy it for something that should be included with the game if it is launching the same day?

In a nutshell, pre-order is fine as long as it isn't coming with content that should be released with the full release, as well as doesn't give an unfair advantage.
Back to top Go down
God is a Cat Girl
(=●ω●=)

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Krayola wrote:
I like my pre-orders with physical goodies, not things that only matter within the game. Which is why I also like pre-ordering SEs of games, so long as they don't have any sort of "advantage" in-game.

This reminds me of a discussion with a friend, who happened to pre-order Hyrule Warriors. (Game is going to get stupid high reviews, as well as insurmountable amounts of praise for having the franchise attached to it, but to each his own).
The thing that bothered me was pre-ordering for a skin or some DLC that comes with the game pre-order. I'm not a huge fan of DLC, but offering exclusive DLC as a motivation for pre-order is really stupid. Why would you buy it for something that should be included with the game if it is launching the same day?

In a nutshell, pre-order is fine as long as it isn't coming with content that should be released with the full release, as well as doesn't give an unfair advantage.

Isn't it the alternative outfits? At least JP's edition has different outfits with the pre order I think.

Twilight Princess Zelda was one of them. D;
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 pm

TBH, I don't really know or care. I just know that there's skins, and pre-ordering for skins is a foolish incentive.
Back to top Go down
Tuskin
Do not charge RT

Male Posts : 2794

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:52 am

Krayola wrote:

Got panned in japan for being (surprise, surprise) a rehashed trite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valkyrie
Master Poster
Master Poster

Female Posts : 2457

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:59 am

Krayola wrote:
TBH, I don't really know or care. I just know that there's skins, and pre-ordering for skins is a foolish incentive.
Pretty much this. It's not that big of a deal if it gives material like exclusive figurines, signed booklets or something about the backstory that really attracts those diehard fans, but when it's downloadable content like an exclusive ingame mount, A rare item, fancy customized clothes, it just becomes foolish in general.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre ordering shenanigans   

Back to top Go down

Pre ordering shenanigans
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Off-Topic (Non-CB related) :: Gaming Hotspot!-
Jump to:  

Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Free forum | Video games | Roleplay Games (MMORPG, WOW...) | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com