Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides

HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aria
Master Poster
Master Poster

Male Posts : 2857

PostSubject: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:40 pm

>Maplestory
Back to top Go down
Tuskin
Do not charge RT

Male Posts : 2791

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Hohoho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mie
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

Female Posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:47 pm

>nexon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster

Female Posts : 4410

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Krayola wrote:
>Maplestory
To be fair, it still has a massive playerbase. Not just on the original game, a lot of private servers also have a pretty big playerbase. I can't really blame them, Maplestory has a lot of unique classes to offer and an interesting enough gameplay. Can't say the same about many of the fancy mmorpgs where you only get to point and click without having to do anything else to get through the game. Except for spending money to upgrade your gear 'cause most F2P games have some sort of P2W to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aria
Master Poster
Master Poster

Male Posts : 2857

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Chinese company win on online worldwide revenue.
China had ban on console till end of 2013.
China has a approximately 1.3 Billion people.

I think the impressive game here is Dungeon Fighter Online, never even heard of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
That_Wiesel_Guy
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster

Male Posts : 4550

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 pm

DFO is popular as fuck, what rock are you living under?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:12 pm

@Shai wrote:
Krayola wrote:
>Maplestory
To be fair, it still has a massive playerbase. Not just on the original game, a lot of private servers also have a pretty big playerbase. I can't really blame them, Maplestory has a lot of unique classes to offer and an interesting enough gameplay. Can't say the same about many of the fancy mmorpgs where you only get to point and click without having to do anything else to get through the game. Except for spending money to upgrade your gear 'cause most F2P games have some sort of P2W to them.
Yeah, I can agree with most of what you say. That was my first online game sadly. I was 9, ok.

Their target audience and gameplay both fit on a casual standpoint. But how do they manage to get people to pay for that game? I remember most of their cash shop consisting of timed skins that expired after 90 days or so. I do remember them introducing some skills that required charging to unlock their level caps, and people buy those too. Sure they might throw a handful of buffs and skill/stat resets (well, stat resets are kind of mute now that everyone starts with perfect stats. No more RNG on initial stats) in there, but it's just hard to believe they can generate that much profit from a playerbase like that, and still manage while multiple PSs are up and competing with them.

Then again, some of us have paid for CB, so I guess anything's possible.

@Aria wrote:
I think the impressive game here is Dungeon Fighter Online, never even heard of it.
DFO EN had a huge amount of players that were sad when their service was discontinued.
Back to top Go down
Valkyrie
Master Poster
Master Poster

Female Posts : 2457

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm

@Mie wrote:
>nexon
Pretty much this.

Not to be nitpicking, but doesn't this belong in the gaming section?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Koiro
God Poster
God Poster

Male Posts : 5490

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 am

Bring my nigga DFO back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrieDaEsprit
3Legion

Male Posts : 2660

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:26 am

It's a surprise CB isn't in the list
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sora
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Male Posts : 419

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 am

crossfire lol /._./
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Male Posts : 3759

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:32 am

WoW shouldn't be on the list as its supposed "Free-to-Play" is really just an intentionally mislabelled trial version.

And this is the first time I've ever heard of "Counter Strike Online", I dread to think what kind of microtransaction nonsense Nexon was able to inject into a FPS to warrant its place in top ten grossing F2P game.

Last edited by reVelske on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
+RedCobra+
Ace Poster
Ace Poster

Male Posts : 1440

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:38 am

YEY maple story !!!  Btw you can play Extalia maple story for private server and look the player base over 1000 players( Owo).  Very Happy

also i miss that DFO game ;w;.

any private server link ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:22 am

@reVelske wrote:
WoW shouldn't be on the list as its supposed "Free-to-Play" is really just an intentionally mislabelled trial version.
What are you talking about? WoW is P2P, and it has a massive playerbase. It's the main reason a lot of mmorpgs start as P2P and later go F2P because they're not even close to the success of WoW. It has a massive player base paying every single month. I'm surprised it's not higher on the list.

@+RedCobra+ wrote:
YEY maple story !!!  Btw you can play Extalia maple story for private server and look the player base over 1000 players( Owo).  Very Happy
I'm already on Extalia myself, simple 'cause Nexon's site was broken back when I tried it. Buttons were literally doing nothing, like most of the time with their site. And simply 'cause I hate Nexon and the way they do their shit. Like IP blocking NA from their EU games and the other way around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winty
God Poster
God Poster

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 am

i had never heard of crossfire before this
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gerrion
Master Poster
Master Poster

Male Posts : 2218

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 am

@Shai wrote:
@reVelske wrote:
What are you talking about? WoW is P2P, and it has a massive playerbase. It's the main reason a lot of mmorpgs start as P2P and later go F2P because they're not even close to the success of WoW. It has a massive player base paying every single month. I'm surprised it's not higher on the list.

The problem is that there's a small mistake from Aria's part: while her thread mentioned the top 10 F2P online game earnings, her list covers all online games, not just the free ones.

WoW has a free-to-play version, though it's still limited. Nonetheless, its store of pets and mounts (all sold by real money) is avainable to them too (i think), so some can still pay for a pet or a mount while still enjoying the free version. So if the list would affect only F2P games WoW could have a small chance for a spot on the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reVelske
Grand Poster
Grand Poster

Male Posts : 3759

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 am

@Shai wrote:

Did you miss WoW on the list? It's 7th, which is what I'm referring to. I can only assume it's on the list because of its recent "Free-to-Play" label, which is actually referring to a lvl.20 cap "trial" account despite Blizzard slapping the F2P label all over it. Sure, its micortransaction income (which is what the list is referring to presumably) is completely independant of the subscription incoming, but it still doesn't really belong on the list (regardless of how crazy it is that a double-dipping MMO can match pure F2P games in microtransaction income).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 am

Ah, I see, my bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
[Founder]
[Founder]

Male Posts : 343

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 am

@Aria wrote:
Chinese company win on online worldwide revenue.
China had ban on console till end of 2013.
China has a approximately 1.3 Billion people.

Actually DFO is always in top 3 in korea, its only natural that its on top in this list. It failed in NA though and shut down, big failure. The game is a success in every other region its in, NA failed due to nexon NA i guess. What surprises me here is crossfire, i played that game before but it was a crappy counterstrike clone.. how it got so much money is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cosmicbreakfanforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings   

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Free to Play Online Game Earnings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Off-Topic (Non-CB related) :: Gaming Hotspot!-
Jump to:  

Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com