Cosmic Break
Welcome! to the Unofficial Fan Forums Please read the rules as soon as you can. It will only take a few minutes of your time to do so. If you are not willing to read them, you might not be here for long! Enjoy your stay and don't get into trouble.

Click here for Forum Rules

Click here for Cosmic Break Guides



 
HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2079
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 46
Location : Chattanooga, TN, USA

PostSubject: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 am

Still considering this game, and have been watching numerous 'let's Play's of it(especially RoosterTeeth's) lately....

Just wondering though...;

If you purchase a download code for it from the main website, it's only good for the PC you download it on...i.e., if you want it on another PC/Laptop, you'd have to buy it again, right? I'd also gather you couldn't share 'worlds' between different PC's/Laptops?

I ask as I'm fairly certain the game would run on this PC, but am unsure of how long I'll be using it for....(system info here
Spoiler:
 
) Thanks in advance! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
resireth
Master Poster
Master Poster


Male Posts : 2129
Join date : 2011-10-08
Age : 75

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:09 am

I'm pretty sure if you purchase the gift code (I'm assuming this is the "download code" you're referring to) from the website and use it on a computer (shall refer to this as Comp. A), you will be purchasing a Minecraft account, not a license to play Minecraft on that computer. Since you purchased an account, you will still be able to play Minecraft on another computer (Comp. B, for instance) using the Minecraft account you activated using your gift code.

As for Minecraft Worlds, you should be able to move worlds by moving the folder from the Application Data folder from Comp. A to Comp. B.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2079
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 46
Location : Chattanooga, TN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:26 am

@resireth wrote:
I'm pretty sure if you purchase the gift code (I'm assuming this is the "download code" you're referring to) from the website and use it on a computer (shall refer to this as Comp. A), you will be purchasing a Minecraft account, not a license to play Minecraft on that computer. Since you purchased an account, you will still be able to play Minecraft on another computer (Comp. B, for instance) using the Minecraft account you activated using your gift code.

As for Minecraft Worlds, you should be able to move worlds by moving the folder from the Application Data folder from Comp. A to Comp. B.

That's very helpful(and encouraging) to know...; so I could begin an account on this PC, then move on to whatever PC/Laptop I acquire once I'm back out on my own and not have to trouble my parents anymore...maybe this is the kind of creative game I need to calm myself....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breaker-Z
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 185
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 22

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Just get a free one here:
adf.ly/46ohx
I found this on youtube some time ago.You just have to update it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster
avatar

Female Posts : 4410
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 23
Location : Lost Canvas

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:50 pm

I'd start with a crack, which Breaker calls ''free'' first to try it out. I bought the game after two days of playing 'cause I think it was worth it. If you like the game, I'd really like to encourage you to buy it. Since it's really worth it.

And it's as resireth says. You don't need to pay for the client itself. You need to pay for an account to login to that client. You pay once, and then you just login to your account and can download it.

There's also different kinds of Minecraft, which you could call advanced. Like Tekkit. There are also people that make adventure maps, CTM (complete the monument) created by Vechs, which many other used as example, being my favorite. There are people who duplicate other games into Minecraft. Someone has made Plants VS Zombies for example. Which they created by Vanilla (which means no mods, just standard Minecraft). Which is pretty impressive. As there's Vanilla, there are a lot of mods. Like.. a lot. Tekkit is a great example, which is a combination of one of the biggest mods together. Even having the ability to write programs on a computer in the game and have a little robot do things. (My friend coded one of those to lay red wool blocks down in the shape of a heart <3)

The things you can create and make in Minecraft are endless. It's the most creative game I can think of 'cause there are so many possibilities. Most don't look further then trying out a crack and playing single player and judge it as boring. Or only watch vids and think it's bad only 'cause of the appearance. Though the appearance I find one of the charming things from Minecraft.

I'd like you to take a look at this place: http://www.planetminecraft.com/

Here many people post building projects, texture packs, skins for avatars, servers that you can play on and mods. Some have made really stunning buildings. There are gorgeous texture packs to make Minecraft feel different. Though I like the default one the most. I don't really recommend using a texture pack at first. Best way is to experience Minecraft first with all its original colors. <3

Skins are for your avatar, which you can only change when you've bought the game. In other words, have an account. Personally, I love the ability to make my own skins.

I'm kinda naming a lot of things, of which most you won't really do anything with until you've played for a bit. But Minecraft really is a game that doesn't get boring fast. Creativity is endless and the options that it gives you are high.


Last edited by Shai on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2079
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 46
Location : Chattanooga, TN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Not gonna touch anything purporting to be a 'free' account crack(or a crack of any kind)...have a clean record, and I'd like to -keep- it that way, but I appreciate the thought.... Smile

Would probably just play vanilla for awhile before even considering mods...the adventure alone would be half the fun for me...at least until a bunch of Creepers find me.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 am

@CapeMike wrote:
Not gonna touch anything purporting to be a 'free' account crack(or a crack of any kind)...have a clean record, and I'd like to -keep- it that way, but I appreciate the thought.... Smile
Better than giving $$ to that big fat faggot Notch.
Back to top Go down
IronDicks
♥ラブマスター♥
♥ラブマスター♥
avatar

Male Posts : 1504
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 25
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 am

oh man, i've been looking for a tekkit server to play on for ages, something fresh with nothing going on yet.

right now im just playing techinic pack by myself
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster
avatar

Female Posts : 4410
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 23
Location : Lost Canvas

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 am

Had the same problem first, so I pretty much waited along with Joe until he had a new PC. So now he just runs a server so we can play Tekkit and CTM maps whenever we want. It's the only server so far where I don't lag when I'm on Normal distance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breaker-Z
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 185
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 22

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 am

It's not really an account crack, you don't even need an account to play it .__.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster
avatar

Female Posts : 4410
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 23
Location : Lost Canvas

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:17 am

@Breaker-Z wrote:
It's not really an account crack, you don't even need an account to play it .__.

Still a crack. . ___ .

If you like the game, I think you should be willing to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prior
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
avatar

Posts : 327
Join date : 2012-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm

@IronDicks wrote:
oh man, i've been looking for a tekkit server to play on for ages, something fresh with nothing going on yet.

right now im just playing techinic pack by myself

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS x 9001
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Z741
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 739
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 pm

@CapeMike wrote:
If you purchase a download code for it from the main website, it's only good for the PC you download it on...i.e., if you want it on another PC/Laptop, you'd have to buy it again, right?
Nope, purchasing a code upgrades your Mojang account status. This enables you to run a legit copy of Minecraft on any PC you wish, if Minecraft.exe is already downloaded. Simply run the executable on another computer, it'll make a .minecraft folder in Program Files [or the corresponding location in WinXP, I forget], and you can run it as much as you want - all it just needs is your Mojang account login.

... I'm pretty notorious for playing Minecraft in the university computer labs by now, I wager. >_>;

@CapeMike wrote:
I'd also gather you couldn't share 'worlds' between different PC's/Laptops?
Depends. For long distance setups, the only way to do this would be to have a computer running a Minecraft server, and any other computers wishing to connect to the server need the server IP.
If you have a LAN handy however, you can just hit Esc to bring up the system menu and click "Open to LAN" to make it public in the immediate area. Your friends would just then open the Multiplayer option from the initial startup menu and your LAN server will appear.

@CapeMike wrote:
I ask as I'm fairly certain the game would run on this PC, but am unsure of how long I'll be using it for....
The governing indication of whether a PC can run Minecraft or not is how well it handles Java. I have a friend with similar computer specs as I, but for some odd reason his computer has a really huge problem with Java and gets about 5 fps while I have no problems at all with standard display options.
If you're concerned with upgrading to a new computer sometime soon, just play Minecraft as you would normally - then when you get a better machine, copy the .minecraft folder [or just the world data if you don't mind reprogramming the client with your key commands, server IPs, texture packs, mods, etc] to the appropriate location on the new PC, and your world should load as usual.


EDIT: Oh and I recommend taking a look at TerraFirma Craft once you're bored of the default Minecraft game mechanics. TFC really ratchets up the survival game by making resources harder to collect, and completely overhauls the experience by throwing in geology, metallurgy/metalsmithing, and seasonal changes. Agriculture is a tad derpy at the moment, but the mod creator is looking to tackle this next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2079
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 46
Location : Chattanooga, TN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:27 pm

@Z741 wrote:
@CapeMike wrote:
If you purchase a download code for it from the main website, it's only good for the PC you download it on...i.e., if you want it on another PC/Laptop, you'd have to buy it again, right?
Nope, purchasing a code upgrades your Mojang account status. This enables you to run a legit copy of Minecraft on any PC you wish, if Minecraft.exe is already downloaded. Simply run the executable on another computer, it'll make a .minecraft folder in Program Files [or the corresponding location in WinXP, I forget], and you can run it as much as you want - all it just needs is your Mojang account login.

... I'm pretty notorious for playing Minecraft in the university computer labs by now, I wager. >_>;

@CapeMike wrote:
I'd also gather you couldn't share 'worlds' between different PC's/Laptops?
Depends. For long distance setups, the only way to do this would be to have a computer running a Minecraft server, and any other computers wishing to connect to the server need the server IP.
If you have a LAN handy however, you can just hit Esc to bring up the system menu and click "Open to LAN" to make it public in the immediate area. Your friends would just then open the Multiplayer option from the initial startup menu and your LAN server will appear.

@CapeMike wrote:
I ask as I'm fairly certain the game would run on this PC, but am unsure of how long I'll be using it for....
The governing indication of whether a PC can run Minecraft or not is how well it handles Java. I have a friend with similar computer specs as I, but for some odd reason his computer has a really huge problem with Java and gets about 5 fps while I have no problems at all with standard display options.
If you're concerned with upgrading to a new computer sometime soon, just play Minecraft as you would normally - then when you get a better machine, copy the .minecraft folder [or just the world data if you don't mind reprogramming the client with your key commands, server IPs, texture packs, mods, etc] to the appropriate location on the new PC, and your world should load as usual.


EDIT: Oh and I recommend taking a look at TerraFirma Craft once you're bored of the default Minecraft game mechanics. TFC really ratchets up the survival game by making resources harder to collect, and completely overhauls the experience by throwing in geology, metallurgy/metalsmithing, and seasonal changes. Agriculture is a tad derpy at the moment, but the mod creator is looking to tackle this next.

Thanks for the helpful info, Z! Smile

My main hesitance at the moment lies in the fact that this is my parents' PC...still living with them until I can get back out on my own, and just want to make sure it's all good with them before I do anything I might regret later, heh....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai
Legendary Poster
Legendary Poster
avatar

Female Posts : 4410
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 23
Location : Lost Canvas

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:34 pm

@Prior wrote:
@IronDicks wrote:
oh man, i've been looking for a tekkit server to play on for ages, something fresh with nothing going on yet.

right now im just playing techinic pack by myself

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS x 9001

I can ask Joe, but I can't promise anything. Though it won't be completely fresh.

Though if you'd move a bit away from where we are it should feel like it's fresh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2079
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 46
Location : Chattanooga, TN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:59 pm

O.k., finally bought one of the prepaid minecraft/account cards at my local Best Buy and got a mojang account registered....

==edit==

Yay, it's downloading...can't wait to start punching trees...pretty sure I can run the game.... Very Happy

==edit2==

Spoiler:
 

By the end of my 1st real-time day, I have things mostly figured out, and stumbled on a large red-stone deposit...now what to do with it all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stickboy
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2969
Join date : 2011-05-23
Age : 24
Location : Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 am

Lol, so fast.

Still havent bought minecraft, so ive been using cracked ones for a year or two. ._.
Fuck mai lief. ._.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2079
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 46
Location : Chattanooga, TN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 am

Spoiler:
 

Didn't take too long for me to build a Nether Portal and poke around in the Nether...thsi pic taken just yesterday.... Smile

I got ganked several times in there by something I couldn't even see that was chucking fireballs at me.... >_<;;

Not going back in there until I can score a full set of diamond armor!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Astral_Dono
野獣先輩
野獣先輩


Male Posts : 7872
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 24
Location : Mars

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:03 pm

@CapeMike wrote:
Spoiler:
 

Didn't take too long for me to build a Nether Portal and poke around in the Nether...thsi pic taken just yesterday.... Smile

I got ganked several times in there by something I couldn't even see that was chucking fireballs at me.... >_<;;

Not going back in there until I can score a full set of diamond armor!
Those would be Ghasts. You can defeat them by using a bow & arrow or by punching the fireballs back at them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CapeMike
Master Poster
Master Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 2079
Join date : 2010-09-29
Age : 46
Location : Chattanooga, TN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Astral_Goddess wrote:
@CapeMike wrote:
Spoiler:
 

Didn't take too long for me to build a Nether Portal and poke around in the Nether...thsi pic taken just yesterday.... Smile

I got ganked several times in there by something I couldn't even see that was chucking fireballs at me.... >_<;;

Not going back in there until I can score a full set of diamond armor!
Those would be Ghasts. You can defeat them by using a bow & arrow or by punching the fireballs back at them.

Well I wish I knew that -yesterday-! >_<;

Would swinging a weapon at the fireballs work, too?

That large structure to the right in the pic is my 2nd home; quite a bit larger than my original home(in the hill just off-screen to the left), it's well-lit and within easy sprinting distance of 4-6 separate mines, including a large obsidian deposit...which I have no clue what to do with now that I have a portal.... <_<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Astral_Dono
野獣先輩
野獣先輩


Male Posts : 7872
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 24
Location : Mars

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 pm

@CapeMike wrote:
Astral_Goddess wrote:
@CapeMike wrote:
Spoiler:
 

Didn't take too long for me to build a Nether Portal and poke around in the Nether...thsi pic taken just yesterday.... Smile

I got ganked several times in there by something I couldn't even see that was chucking fireballs at me.... >_<;;

Not going back in there until I can score a full set of diamond armor!
Those would be Ghasts. You can defeat them by using a bow & arrow or by punching the fireballs back at them.

Well I wish I knew that -yesterday-! >_<;

Would swinging a weapon at the fireballs work, too?

That large structure to the right in the pic is my 2nd home; quite a bit larger than my original home(in the hill just off-screen to the left), it's well-lit and within easy sprinting distance of 4-6 separate mines, including a large obsidian deposit...which I have no clue what to do with now that I have a portal.... <_<
In multiplayer, Obsidian can be used for making solid, nearly indestructible homes (As Obsidian doesn't blow up when TNT blows up). It's also useful as a dark rock decoration if you plan on making really large and fancy homes later on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Z741
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
avatar

Male Posts : 739
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:55 am

@CapeMike wrote:
including a large obsidian deposit...which I have no clue what to do with now that I have a portal.... <_<
When you get to it, a bit of fine-tuning is needed if you want to set up Nether Portals as a means of transportation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBhWN794yA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SilverySil
Adept Poster
Adept Poster
avatar

Female Posts : 508
Join date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:23 am

astral plays minecraft? if so you should tell me what server you play in #em3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<   

Back to top Go down
 
Stupid Minecraft questions.... <_<
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosmic Break :: Off-Topic (Non-CB related) :: Gaming Hotspot!-
Jump to:  




Copyright©2007-2014 CyberStep, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Theme by, Sean

Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com